With this recipe you can use courgette or marrows, but yellow courgettes work best.
- 1 kg courgettes, finely diced
- 1 kg caster sugar
- 50 g large thumb of ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 2 small unwaxed lemons, juice and zest
Put everything in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients. The mix will go from quite dry to wet and soupy as the courgettes release their moisture and the sugar starts to dissolve.
- Over a low heat, stir till the sugar fully dissolves, then increase heat to medium.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the courgettes have softened completely and the jam has reached setting point (*)
- Let it cool a little before pouring into the jars
(*) There are two ways to check that jam is set.
The easiest one is to get a jam thermometer, once the jam has reached 105 degree Celsius it’s ready.
The other one is to put a couple of small dishes in the freezer before you start, once the jam has boiled for at least 10 minutes remove from the heath and place a bit of jam in on the chilled plates. If it separates like in the picture is done!