The secret, as with any roux based sauce, is to use fat and flower in equal measure (by weight).
- 40 g butter
- 40 g flower
- 500 ml milk
- Something to add flavours to the milk
Ok “Something to add flavours to the milk” sounds a bit vague, but it should be! It depends where the sauce is going to be used. A bay leave, an onion and some freshly grated nutmeg will do wonders, but fell free to add whatever you want.
- First add the flavoring to the milk and bring gently to the boil.
- Then make a roux by gently melting the butter in saucepan.
- Once the the butter is melted add the flower all at once and combine mixing vigorously. Keep on the flame until the flower has blushed
- Now add the flavored milk a little at the time.
- If you want a thicker sauce add a bit less milk