A non-stick frying pan is perfect for this recipe as you need only rub it with a little oil. This allows for four small pancakes per person.
Mrs Garreth Pankakes
- 55 g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- ⅛ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ⅓ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 70 ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp cold water
- a little sunflower oil
- Mix together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder in a bowl
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and beat in the egg, followed by the buttermilk, then enough cold water to form a smooth, thick batter
- Set a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and rub with a little oil. Once it's hot, spoon a blob of batter into the pan. Repeat until you have 4 pancakes, each about 7cm in diameter
- After a minute, small bubbles will start to form on the wet surface of each pancake - this means they are starting to cook underneath. Flip them over and cook for a further minute.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with a clean tea towel while you continue to cook the remaining mixture.