Non all pesto are made with basil…. Well Pesto alla Genovese is the only true pesto, but quite frankly is almost impossible to find decent basil outside Italy. If, like me, you grew up in Genoa, pesto is something best left for when you return to Zena.
This however, while being a totally different thing, is rather satisfying.
Timings are critical here, don’t be tempted to overcook the pesto !
Cavolo Nero Pasta
- 1 Leek
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Handfuls Cavolo Nero (stalk removed)
- 100 ml Oilive Oil
- 500 g Pasta
- 50 g Parmesan Cheese
- 50 g Pecorino Cheese
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil
- Trim and chop the leek and peel the garlic
- Once the water is boiling drop in the leek and the garlic cloves
- Cook for 3 minutes
- Add the cavolo nero
- Cook for 3½ minutes
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon move the ingrediends to a blender add the olive oil and liquidize
- Bring the cooking water back to boil and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions
- Once cooked spinkle the two cheeses on top