This can be used as an alternative stuffing or as a vegetarian main.
Pumpkin and Lentil Wreath
- Savarin cake tin
- 400 g Pumpkin of your choice peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes (prepared weight)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onions
- 200 g Chestnut or Forestiere Mushroom
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 8 Sage leaves
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 1 springs rosmary
- ½ can Puy Lentils
- 80 g Cooked chestnuts
- 50 g Dried Apricots
- 20 g Mixed dried fruits
- 1 Orange juiced
- Combined the dried fruits with the juiced orange and heat gently in a saucepan untill the juice is absorbed. Set aside to cool
- Mix the flaxseed with 4 tbsp water, and leave until it becomes gel like
- Roast the pumpkin is a 180 C oven for 25 to 30 mins
- Heat one tbsp oil in a frying pan over a low heat and cook the onions until tender
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until the liquid they’ve released has evaporated.
- Line a 24cm savarin tin with baking paper
- Rub some oilive oil over 4 sage leaves and arrange them in the base of the tin. Press the fruit topping over the leaves so that the base is fully covered.
- Combine the lentils, chestnuts roasted squash, the onion and mushroom mixture, the breadcrumbs, flaxseed, nutmeg, 4 chopped sage leaves, and rosemary
- Covert tightly with foil
- Bake for 45 mins at 180C, then remove the foil and bake for a further 15 mins
The unbaked wreath will keep, covered in the fridge, for two days.