As you probably know I’m not a fan vegetarian modification to classic food, and I despise how vegans constantly proselytise, but this veggie cottage pie is truly remarkable.
VEGETERIAN COTTAGE PIE
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 swede
- 2 leeks
- 2 kg potatoes
- 10 g dried porcini
- 1 red onion
- 1 can brown lentils
- 1 can Puy lentils
- 2 springs rosmary
- 1/2 glass milk
- 50 g butter
- Soak the dried porcini in hot water for 30 minutes
- Gently fry some rosemary in a bit of olive oil for about one minute, so that it flavours the oil, then discard it.
- dd the root vegetable a little pinch of cumin and gently cook about half an hour
- Now cook the spuds in boiling salted water
- Filter the porcini water, and put it in a blender add water to make 500ml, add the porcini, the tomato puree, the red onion and blend until smooth. Add this to the veg pan.
- Add the tinned brown lentils an let it cook for 30 minutes
- Make a mash with the potatoes, butter and milk
- Now in an oven proof dish make a base layer with the Puy lentils, cover them with the vegs and finally top it all with the mash.
- Bake for 30 min in the over at 190 C